Pages

Monday 22 October 2012

Low Days: How I cope

Hi Everyone

I've decided to write a post today about how I deal with "low days". I have found that since being diagnosed with RA, my mood seems to be all over the place. One day I can be my usual positive and chirpy self, and the next I can feel quite defeated.


I have noticed that my low days tend to be appear more at the weekend rather than during the week, which is usually the opposite for most people! I think it is because during the week, I have work to focus on and keep me occupied for the majority of the day. Whereas at the weekend, I wake up and think, "what can I do for the next 15 hours?". I used to enjoy going for walks, going to town, or generally just using the time to get things done that I hadn't had time to do during the week. But at the moment, since I can't stand for very long, walk very far, or really do anything involving my hands, I'm not left with many options!


That's why I have decided to make Sunday my pamper day. This means: a bath, candles, face masks, hair masks, nail polish, body scrubs, moisturisers, the works! Some may think that I am being superficial or materialistic, but the truth is, beauty products make me feel better.

Sanctuary body scrub and lotion - this smells ggorgeous but I thought that the scrub could do with more texture, I prefer a bit of a harsher exfoliator. I also found the lotion started to burn parts of my skin like my elbows?! Maybe its not ideal to use straight after a bath when your pores are open if you have sensitive skin.


Aussie 3 minute miracle hair mask - this also smells amazing, and my hair felt very smooth and conditioned after. Not bad considering you only need to leave it on for 3 minutes. I only used about 1/3 of the sachet too. Cant complain for 80p.
Garnier self heating clay face mask - I started to worry when I first applied it as you really do feel it starting to heat up within seconds. I have sensitive skin so usually if something feels warm on my face my first instinct is to get it off, but I left it for 3 minutes as directed and had no problems at all once I had washed it off. My skin felt nice and cleansed afterwards. This comes in 2 sachets, but I only used about 2/3 of the first one.


I think it is important for RA sufferers to take some time to do something that makes them feel good about themselves, because it is very easy to build up feelings of resentment and hatred towards your own body when it is attacking itself and causing you pain. I have thought to myself on quite a few occasions, "I don't smoke, I rarely drink, I eat plenty of fruit and veg, I was very active, so why is my body doing this to me?!". Also, you get sick of looking at your joints that are all swollen and ugly, wishing that they looked half normal.

But after my pamper afternoon on Sunday, I honestly felt one hundred times better about myself, and felt motivated to make sure this arthritis doesn't beat me. I will get back to some sort of normality!!


What techniques do you use to battle the RA blues? Get in touch.




2 comments:

  1. It's understandable that you feel defeated at times, it is a case of having good days and bad days don't you think.
    I'm really glad that you have already found ways to relax and to help you feel better, even if it is sometimes mentally more than physically. Having a good warm, bubbly soak in the bath definately helps the tender joints and achy muscles. Having the nails done all pretty help by taking your mind off the pain and seeing the end results, definately brings a smile. :-) I love having mine done. I find listening to music and talking to friends, even by a text or through Facebook, it makes you feel less alone.
    I for one agree that it does make a difference by doing something that makes you feel good. I'm glad to hear that pampering makes you feel better.
    Oh and I find soaking my feet in a nice warm foot soak relieves all the tension and aches in the muscles. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right Katie, the good days and bad days are inevitable, so its important to accept that bad days are going to come, and making sure you can deal with them when they do :) xxx

    ReplyDelete