Pages

Wednesday 24 October 2012

MTX Wednesday - Week 3

Well its Methotrexate Wednesday again already!

Today I had to increase my dose to 6 pills, giving me 14 pills in total to take this morning. Once again, I seem to have a bit of a dizzy head and I'm not feeling 100%, but at the same time I'm not throwing up or having to go to bed, so I can't really complain.



This is what I had to face at 5am this morning!


I also had my first blood test to check my liver functioning. I have to get this done every two weeks for the next few months, because MTX can cause liver disease among other things. So this morning I had to take myself up to the Path Lab at my local hospital (Furness General). 


Since the path lab opens at 9am, I thought I would get myself there nice and early and try to get in and out as quick as possible. But I arrived for 8:45am to find a large group of people waiting in the corridor. I got my queue ticket which said I was patient 14, so much for in and out! 


Just after 9 they opened the doors and let us in, so once I had handed in my queue ticket and blood test requirements slip at the reception I could sit down in the waiting area. I know I must have only been stood for 20 minutes, but I was desperate to sit down by this point! 



This is the slip I have to hand in at reception to tell them what I need to be tested for.
 
I ended up having to wait for about 40 minutes, but once I was called, the actual blood taking was quick and painless. I have had quite a few blood tests over the years, so getting it done never really bothers me anyway, but I have one or two experiences when the nurse cant draw blood, and I get turned into a human pin cushion! Luckliy this was not the case today!!


So overall not a bad experience for my first trip to the path lab, just a few pointers for the future:
  1. 15 minutes before is not early enough to be in and out - maybe I'll get there for 8:30 next time
  2. Take a book to read - it can be a long wait!
And as for the MTX, I haven't seen any improvement in my condition as of yet, but at the same time I haven't had any horrible side effects either. There's still a long way to go...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    I love your little trinket box for your tablets, it's really cute. I think it is important to dress important things that are not always very pleasant.
    I'm very pleased to hear that you are not feeling too poorly with taking the MTX. I worry so much about taking medicine and their side effects, but you are courageous at trying them. I can understand it can't be easy taking them.
    When you next go to get your bloods taken, it is a pity you couldn't take a slim lightweight fold-up stool to sit on while you wait for the dept to open.
    Keep smiling hun :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks it was a gift from my friend Shaunna, it really does make a difference keeping the pills in a pretty box :)

    I think I will just sit on the floor next time I have to queue!! xxx

    ReplyDelete